Tuesday, September 07, 2004

AJ: armour

I hated this. We had the building secured, and we had a fair stock of food. Counting what we had taken with us and what was available at the cafeteria we were well enough stocked for a few weeks/months. The main problems were weapons, and defense. We only had one rifle with fourteen shells. That wouldn't even be enough to defend the place for a five minutes if those things started swarming. We had a few blunt objects, the odd knives, and what not. Unfortunately that would definitely not take the place of a good amount of firepower. Of course that hadn't done the police any good.

Aside from my father, and Bobby there weren't really anyone who could go out and find anything. I wasn't going to leave a group of defenceless women and children alone so i opted to go alone. I knew that those things would be everywhere, and I had little or no defense. rifling through the supply room I managed to come up with an idea. Taking several rolls of duct tape i started to fashion a sort of make shift Armour. I rolled the tape around the legs of my pants. I also wrapped it around the arms of my jacket, and around my neck. On my stomach back I taped two plastic trays from the cafeteria. I looked like an idiot, but at least i was positive that a stray bite or two would definitely not cause me any harm. My mobility wasn't limited, I had the tape wrapped pretty loose, it was pretty loose around my legs and groin. there were only a couple of badly exposed areas. My hands, and my head. Two pretty scary places to be vulnerable. I would need two things to get totally secured, a helmet of some sort, and a pair of gloves. Luckily having grown up in this town I knew where both of those items could be found. Unfortunately their were untoldnumbers of those things between me and my goals.

It took me a few hours to get a game plan in order. I was going to take one of the cars. I knew it would draw hella attention, but it was less risky in the long run. There were two stops I had to make. The first to the local fish plant. To get myself some of those gloves they use when cutting fish. They are designed so that a knife can't ge tthrough them, so a pair of moldy teeth shouldn't pose a problem. I didn't figure that would be a problem as it was on the harbour, and no one was supposed to be there. The second posed more of a problem. It was closer to the highway, and closer to the first swarm. It was also in the middle of houses, and houses meant casualties, and casualties meant those things. Unfortunately that was the most important place. Canadian tire. They had rifles, guns, knives, everything a post apocalyptic shopper could want.

I would have to sneak out in the early morning. Daylight would be important. THose things seem drawn to light, in the nights sometimes they pooled under the streetlights, staring up at it, grasping for it. It was damned creepy to watch. so the key words were silence, and visibility. the car I chose was a 1991 grand marquis. My ar actually. I knew it, it was big, it was built like a small sherman tank. All things that would come in handy. Sure, a hummer, or an actual tank would have been nice. but a boy works with the tools at hand.

0 Comments: